Monday 8 December 2008

Cold

Overnight was below freezing. I went for a walk Sunday morning, not particularly early, around 11 a.m. Lots of ice, puddles. This was a puddle on the side of the road.

Botley Road

Frozen!

Interesting shadows This was the footpath. You can see the shadows of the railings on the bridge where the ice had been shielded from the sun. All along I could see the melted ice where the sun had touched the surface; and the ice in the shadows.

Botley Road. ice on footpath.

Different clothes on people depending on how much they felt the cold. I saw a man wearing a t-shirt, shorts, running shoes, and gloves. No hat, no jacket, but gloves. Another man was wearing a normal suit and carrying what looked like a fur coat. Most people were rugged up the way I was.

That’s the other thing. Before you go out in this weather, there is a whole process to go through. I had to put on my long johns, which means removing the outer layer of clothes, and then dressing again with the long johns on. Then you have extra socks, shoes, coat, hat, gloves and once these are all arranged properly (scarf tucked into jacket so the cold doesn’t get in, jacket done up etc), you are ready to brave the world. I am so glad I don’t have small kids.

This was the railing on the bridge. Again, you can see where the sun had touched and melted the ice and where it hasn’t.

2008 12 07 Botley Road-14

A close up of the ice crystals.

Ice on bridge railing

Looks almost furry.

And the misty view from the bridge.

Seacourt Stream from Botley Bridge Copy

This one is taken from a similar place in October. It’s hard to compare them as I was looking at different things when I took each photo.

2008 10 15

Now will y'all stop nagging. I've given you your fix for today.

cheers

Madeleine

Monday, 8 December 2008

2 comments:

KazzaB said...

Well, I do agree, it was about time we had some more photos and commentary!! LOL

I love the photo that makes the ice look furry!! Very interesting photos, especially of the pattern the ice has made. I'd look like the michelin lady with all those clothes on!! LOL Would I be able to even move, is the burning question!!

Rosymosie said...

Well they are a slow bunch. Quick to complain when I don't write and slow to respond when I do. Been busy today !! I think I do look like the michelin lady sometimes Kazza, and you would probably look like the kids look in their winter gear LOL