Tuesday 2 December 2008

More Winchester

Winchester Cathedral has a number of special happenings during the Christmas season. While we were there, they had a market with all sorts of stalls selling crafts and goodies. Not much different from the markets we have in Australia in what they sold. What was different was that each stall had a wooden chalet, each one the same.

clip_image002

All this scene needs is some snow falling and it would be perfect I reckon.

This is Winchester Cathedral.

clip_image002[4]

Not bad for an old lady (or man).

They had also set up a skating rink. I thought about going but then couldn’t be bothered with waiting in the queue to get on the rink and the inevitable cold wet bum when I fell over. But here’s a photo of the rink area. This is 4 photos together. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself.

clip_image002[6]

In amongst all the craft items was an area that was selling food. I mentioned that I had never tasted roasted chestnuts, so K bought some for us to try.

clip_image002[8]

As far as the taste goes. They are all right. Nothing special for me. But for someone who grew up on them, they would mean Christmas, winter, all sorts of connotations. A bit like vegemite to an Australian.

This one was taken inside the cathedral

clip_image002[10]

And then looking straight up

clip_image002[12]

This window was interesting. Apparently the original window was destroyed by a bomb during Oliver Cromwell's time. People pieced together the bits of coloured glass and ended up with a mosaic of stained glass instead of religious pictures.

Apparently

The cathedral's huge west window is made up of fragments of medieval glass put together randomly, in a manner something like pique assiette mosaic work. The original panes were deliberately destroyed by Cromwell's forces following the outbreak of the Civil War in 1642. Soon after the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, the broken glass was gathered up and used again.

As this display in the cathedral visitor centre shows, the original pictures were not reconstructed, as was attempted at St Peter Mancroft in Norwich. Perhaps the damage at Winchester was just too great for a "jigsaw" approach. Out of necessity, the cathedral pre-empted collage art by hundreds of years.

http://www.thejoyofshards.co.uk/visits/southtrip/winchcath2.shtml

clip_image002[14]

The photo above gives an idea of the size of the window. This is a close up of one section. I just can’t imagine the amount of work that must have gone into recreating this window.

clip_image002[16]

If you look closely, you can see a head in this one, but the rest are just bits of glass put together.

We had dinner/lunch (couldn’t decide if it was going to be linner or dunch) with K’s cousin who lives in Winchester. However by the time we got there, it was definitely dinner time and we were all tired and hungry. When we headed back to the car, the streets were much quieter and I took a couple of shots of the Christmas decorations all lit up.

clip_image002[18]

clip_image002[20]

Then we hopped in the car and came home, ending another journey.

Madeleine

Tuesday, 2 December 2008

16 comments:

Kahless said...

Have you ice skated before?

KazzaB said...

The Cathedral looks well worth a visit. It's so majestic. I've always wondered what chestnuts tasted like too but obviously nothing to get too excited about. LOL

Rosymosie said...

Yes, Kahless, I've skated a lot. Got my first pair of skates at about age 3. Not particularly good. but can skate. Not been in years, and years though.

Kazza, for me they were't all that exciting. But certainly worth tasking. And yes, most of the big churches here are worth a visit.

Tony White said...

Nice pictures Gez,

If you ever come across and Eeyore of Winne The Pooh can you get some of them.

Graffiti

Rosymosie said...

Thanks Graffiti. If I find Eeyore I will bring him home with me!! If I find a miniature Eeyore, I will bring that home with me as well. What do you want an Eeyore for??

Kahless said...

Eeyore

Tony White said...

Eeyore is one of my favourites Gezunda,
So a photo would be fine

Hope you are having a good time

Graffiti

Rosymosie said...

Thanks for the picture of Eeyore, Kahless. Did you get it, Graffiti. I must admit, if I did find a miniature one, I would get it, that's for sure LOL. And yes, Graffiti, I am having a great time.

Tony White said...

Yes Kahless,
Thanks for the eBay Eeyore,

My preference would be for a little plastic Eeyore

Graffiti

Kahless said...

Actually I posted the link so Madeleine could order it for you!
But come to think of it, a soft toy Eeyore isnt really a bloke thing! Plastic is better!

Tony White said...

You picked it kahless,

Whilst soft cuddly toys really suit some they are not my thing

Graffiti

Rosymosie said...

that gave me the giggles Kahless and Graffiti. The thought of Graffiti with a stuffed Eeyore. I might just think about that hehehehe

Kahless said...

Time for another post eh Mads?

Oh and maybe we should go ice-skating here in North Wales soon?

{{{hugs}}}

Anonymous said...

Hey Maddi,

I've read this post twice now. Time for my next Maddi fix!

Lifes good here, same as always in a changing kind of way. Your house is still there, I waved at it yesterday.

Still missing you.

Nx

Veedub said...

I was reading this post for the third or fourth time (nudge, nudge) and a question popped into my head...are the little wooden chalets for the market there all the time or are they pre-fab and collapsible?

Keep warm.

Rosymosie said...

Nag, nag, nag. Is this what happens when you are famous. Damn. Another one coming. It's written. I got side tracked yesterday with christmas trees and trying to find one photo.