Monday 1 December 2008

Stonehenge

It’s hard to describe the setting of Stonehenge. It is on Salisbury Plain – 300 square miles of flatness. There was no way I could get a photo that did justice to the size and scale of the setting. I took a photo from the car window as we were leaving but all it shows is the rain on the window.

Driving down the highway, and watching for signs. Very suddenly there was a sign for the turn off, which we almost missed. A short drive further, and there it was, amongst the flat nothingness of the plain.

It was bitterly cold. Raining. At one stage a drop of rain hit my face and it felt like ice. Do we bother to pay money and wander around in the cold? We had driven a fair way from Southampton to get here. I did want to see it in real life. How important was this to me? It was really, really cold and wet and horrible weather.

K and I decided we would go for a bit of a walk and see what we could see. There was a fence around the whole area. Apparently you could walk under the road from the car park into the fenced area and wander around. We decided to stay outside the fence and just see it from a distance. In spite of the distance, this is what I saw.

clip_image002

Even through the fence it’s kinda kewl, now isn’t it?

However, when I zoomed in, I was more able to get a feel for what they felt like close up:

clip_image004

Wow!!

How incredible.

They are ginormous.

To give an idea of the size of them

clip_image006

This photo gives an idea of the weather as well. So I took a close up of the people and the umbrellas.

clip_image008

That’s why we didn’t go any closer. For almost £7, I didn’t think the effort was worth it. There was a path around the stones. You can’t get close enough to touch them.

Over the years, tourists have written on them, taken bits from them and generally defaced them in every imaginable way. In the late 1960s when I was in the UK, you could walk amongst them. I wish now I’d managed to get to see them and get some photos then.

The path around them is quite long and wide around the stones. Probably gives a great sense of the scale of both the plain and the stones, but for me, it wasn’t worth the cold. I’d seen enough from my side of the fence.

Madeleine

Monday, 1 December 2008

4 comments:

Kahless said...

When I was a kid you could climb on them.

So Madeleine, how did they get there?

Rosymosie said...

I dunno how they got there, Kahless. Someone planted a stone seed and they grew? You tell me this time.

You climbed on them. How kewl is THAT!! Do you have any photos?

KazzaB said...

I missed this blog post. Just the photo's you got are fantastic. Really gives a good idea of them. I wonder how they came to be. Did aliens rearrange them??? Imagination is going again. LOL

Rosymosie said...

Gotta keep your eyes peeled when I've been gallivanting Kazza LOL. And they are stunning. I just wish the weather had been a bit better. Maybe google and find out where they came from.