Saturday 24 January 2009

Singapore

Arrived safely in Singapore. Internet access is available, but costs $5 per half hour session and must be used all in one session, so I’m writing this and will check my emails and then log onto the net and post my writings at the same time.

The trip here was deliciously uneventful and so far Singapore has been fine. It doesn’t even feel as hot as it did when I was here 4 months ago. Could it be that I was a bit feverish??

Finally managed to get most of my stuff in my suitcases and am totally wondering if I can actually lift them. M&K helped me get them to the airport and booked into Singapore and when I arrived in Singapore I grabbed a trolley and took my cases outside. Singapore customs is hilarious. I went through Immigration, got my passport stamped and all and then there were two doors – things to declare and nothing to declare. Having nothing to declare, I simply walked out of the airport.

When I arrived outside customs, I wandered around for a few minutes getting my bearings and made eye contact with a man who asked me if I wanted a taxi. I said yes, he said %35. I said that when I had been here last it had only cost $20. He said something about airport taxes and I figured it was worth the money. So he parked me and my bags outside the terminal while he went and got the taxi (a bus really, like a tourist bus). He put my luggage in the bus, drove me to my hotel, took the cases out of the bus, gave them to the hotel man, who subsequently brought them up to my room for me. Now how easy was that !!

You all would have had a lovely giggle at me tonight. I got into my room with one of these card things. Now remember, it’s been a while since I’ve actually stayed in a hotel. I came into the room and no lights. I flipped switches all over the place, tried the lamps etc. Nothing. It’s dark at this stage of course, so I had the door propped open with my back pack and the phone rang. I answered and it was the luggage man saying that he was bringing up my luggage. I figured I could tell him that the lights weren’t working and he could help me. As I was standing by the door waiting, I saw a white thing on the wall with a little red light and a sign that said “Please insert key card” which I did. And guess what – all the lights came on. Talk about a DUH! Moment. I guess I can get away with it as being very tired.

I slept on the plane. I had booked my seat online the night before and got a middle seat. I hate anything but an aisle seat, so when I got to check in at the airport, I asked if there were any aisle seats available. There was, so I got one!! So much better.

Lovely young couple from Melbourne sitting next to me. We chatted a bit, but not too much and I slept most of the way.

So right now I’m in my hotel room, there is a wedding downstairs, and a lovely view from my window. I can see the Singapore Eye, which is the same as the London Eye, a big ferris wheel type thing that looks over the city. Room is lovely, large, comfortable, but cold. The air conditioning is just a bit cold for my liking. I’ve taken possession of one of the lovely white dressing gowns that was in the wardrobe.

So other than taking a quick walk around the block, nothing much has happened. I am close to the Raffles Hospital where I spent most of my last visit to Singapore, and this room is far more comfortable than the hostel I stayed in last time. Worth the money.

Also, I have arrived just in time for the Chinese New Year so there should be lots of photos happening over the next few days.

Catcha all later.

Madeleine

Saturday, 24 January 2009

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Globetrotter, wow, now you're in Singapore, and there's me - never even stayed in a hotel (seriously!). Hope you've got Tony's present from me in one of those big suitcases of yours ;-)

Lynn and I were walking Rags through Mousehold Heath (a big area of heath and woodland in Norwich) today, and got to thinking about your visit here. We had a lot of giggles - she especially liked your response to me pointing out that 'great, fat bastard' in the book I'd bought ;-)

I'll keep checking your blog.

Cheers mate!

KazzaB said...

I love your description of your trip as a delicious one. LOL Glad it went well and the hotel is nice. I'd be exactly like you with the lights, having never stayed at a hotel that uses cards. I certainly wouldn't have been any help in figuring it out.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures in Singapore.

Rosymosie said...

Hey Colin, how kewl re walking with Rags. I looked at a photo I had of you guys after I went to Norwich and suddenly the faces actually meant something. I leave here on Monday and am quietly writing in my room as I go, so you will get the low down on my adventures in a couple of days. I wish I could have come with you, Lynn and Rags. That was a lovely visit we had. Hopefully one day I will be back.

Kazza, I've booked my wake up call for tomorrow a.m. (too early) and will be flying back into Perth life in no time at all.

Anonymous said...

Hi M,

I posted some photos of the Heath on my new blog. I've decided to re-name it 'Rambles in the Weedy Shack', as I don't wanna give up being a shacker.

If you EVER get the chance to come back to England we'd love to spend some more time with you. You were a real hit with me and my crowd!

Safe journey.

Tony White said...

OK youse guys!

Presents in suitcases and so forth.

You are making me wait so that I will

Cheers

Tony

Rosymosie said...

Kahless, you have totally stumped me. Not sure what (o) means.

Colin, I have every intention of returning to the UK, but next time will be in summer so Kahless and I can do some of the Welsh mountain trains that I missed this time. I'll check out your blog when I've got more time on the net

Tony,I'm making you "wait so that I will..." What????? No pressies for you mate. Couldn't find you an eeyore. Sorry !!

Kahless said...

(o) is a pebble which means hello when you are not sure what to write.


Oh and please don't forget to give Kazza the little gift I have you to give her.

I'd enjoy going on the Snowdonia mountain railway with you.

Rosymosie said...

Kahless, as Colin says "you are part of my clan" so we will do the Welsh railways. Just not quite yet LOL. And I have gifts to find in amongst all the stuff still in my cases. I won't forget the one you sent for Kazza.