Monday 5 January 2009

Snow

Well I finally got my wish. I woke up this morning and looked outside. In the back garden I spotted this:

05 01_Norwich Sunday_0003

We all commented that it had been cold last night and what a big frost there had been. M reckoned that this was good. Meant that the ground was cold enough that if it did snow, the snow wouldn't melt as soon as it touched the ground.

For people who don't understand. In the summer, the ground warms up. For snow to stay on the ground you need two things: the ground to have got cold and enough snow to cover the ground. When the first snow happens, it usually melts immediately as the ground is still warm. As the weather gets colder for longer, the ground gets cold enough to not melt the snow. That's when the snow stays on the ground. Hence M's comment about the frost. It meant that the ground was losing it's heat.

We all oohed and aahed over the frost and then M went off to his class. About 10 minutes later the phone rang. It was M. It was snowing and what we had thought was frost, was snow. So off went Madeleine with her trusty camera to see what she could see of the snow.

This is the entry to the allotments down the road from our house.

05 01_Norwich Sunday_0005

I had to pick up the snow and photograph my glove covered in snow.

Snowy glove

The only problem was that being right handed, I automatically collected the snow with my right hand. Then I had the problem of how to photograph my right hand using my left hand on a camera made for right handers !! I didn't realise at the time, but you can see the lens cap dangling in the background as I turned the camera around.

So that is snow on my black glove on my hand.

I'm amazed at how excited I get by snow. I grew up with snow as the norm and yet I still find it exciting.

This is the entrance to the car park for the Community Centre.

05 01_Norwich Sunday_0010

By this stage, there were some really nice flurries of snow and I tried to photograph them coming down and it didn't work, so I got my jacket with a few snowflakes on it.

05 01_Norwich Sunday_0015

Not a lot, but a few flakes there. Along with a bit of cat fur (or maybe Rag's dog fur from our Norwich visit).

A short time later this was our back garden. Didn't last long. The snow has all gone now and the sun is out so I don't think there will be any more today. However it is really cold outside so there is still hope for more before I leave.

05 01_Norwich Sunday_0017

Cheers

Madeleine

Monday, 5 January 2009

11 comments:

Veedub said...

Hooray, I'm glad you got your snow. It would have been terrible to go all that way and not get any.

I don't get the whole allotment thing. I know from watching TV that people grow veggies and treat them like back yards but the houses have yards so why allotments? Does everyone have one? Or only some? Do you buy them?

Rosymosie said...

Many back gardens here are very very small if people have them. Very dense living. Not everyone has an allotment and I know some people rent them but whether you buy them as well I don't know. I do know that in the terrace houses like the one we live in that the gardens are very small.

I'm glad I saw snow too, Veedub!!

Rosymosie said...

Okay, some people do buy them. I've just done some googling and it appears as if they can be rented or bought, but no idea of prices or anything. See what you can find Veedub.

KazzaB said...

I would swap places with you in a flash Rosymosie!! I've opened the house up this morning to get a cool breeze to go thru, seem I'm up early this morning. It's going to be hot today and I'm just thinking, while I'm writing this, you're curled up in a nice warm bed, nice and snug and it's nice and cold where you are!! LOL

I've seen snow but I've after the event - never been somewhere where it was snowing at the time.

Anonymous said...

Snow! Lovely!

I had a horse called 'Snow' she was lovely too.

Did you love the snow? Beautiful stuff huh?

It clears the air - and its like a dream. I've seen it a couple of times - muddy puddles on the side of the road - but once it snowed on me too! It was just like a dream! YAY!

Kahless said...

Rosymosie,
I hope you aren't telling fibs...

looks more like a bit of frost to me lol!!!

Kazza - it was -7 last night. I'll swap you!

Rosymosie said...

It's -10 here in Oxford right now. Apparently the lock is freezing. I'm going to write a post about cold and hot Kazza, maybe tomorrow. No, Kahless it really was snow, I wartched it come down from de sky.

Anonymous said...

-10 is beyond my imagination. Yikes!

The word varification is - Tabro.

Sounds very chique(sp?) or something

KazzaB said...

You're going to write about cold and hot Kazza??? LOL That's a worry. I didn't know I flashed so hot and cold but definitely at the moment it's hot!!

Kahless - I think I would swap with you for sure. At least until I started whinging about the cold!! LOL Madeleine told me that it is a different cold altogether so I'm not sure I'd last long!!

Rosymosie said...

LOL. Kazza, I forgot a comma LOL. I don't think you would last long in the cold either Kazza, you would definitely look like the Michelin man with all the clothes you have to wear.

KazzaB said...

That does conjure up a picture Madeleine - the michelin man Kazza. I wouldn't be able to walk!! LOL Or sit.

Just had a thought - it must be a bit of a stuggle if you're desperate to go to the loo with all those clothes on!! Trust me to think of that but I couldn't help it!! LOL