Thursday 23 October 2008

Botanic Gardens

Yesterday's trip was to the Botanic Gardens. I had a couple of tasks to complete on the way which meant another little wander through town. I must admit, I rather enjoy wandering the streets of Oxford. I'm still not sure what I like about it. Maybe it's the old buildings. Maybe it's the difference from what I'm used to. Maybe it's the weather. Who knows. And does it really matter.

I walked to a place called Shoe Lane - some lovely names they have here. Shoe Lane, Blue Boar Street, Beef lane, Ship Street.....

Map image

From there I wandered through the Clarendon Centre and out onto Queen Street. The nice thing now is that I've got a bit of a sense of direction on these main streets so when I came out, I knew which way I was going.

The next thing I spotted was this:

2008 10 22

Now how kewl is that. A fence around the branch of the tree, and support for it.

This was the University Church of St Mary the Virgin

2008 10 22-1

And there's the tree in all it's glory.

2008 10 22-2

The church also has some incredible sculptures. The pigeons loved this one:

2008 10 22-7

Again, the pigeons have found themselves a warm spot to rest.

2008 10 22-19

And this appears to be a real gargoyle rather than a grotesque:

2008 10 22-16

It took me several goes to take this one. My hand kept shaking while I was zooming in so I got bits of it. But I finally got most of the gargoyle. Isn't he gorgeous!!

Then at last, the entrance to the botanic gardens.

2008 10 22-26

Now that's quite something. It's not really the way you go in. There's a new building off to the left which has a shop.

A close up of the top.

2008 10 22-31

During my travels I found this:

2008 10 22-67

And this sign said:

2008 10 22-66

So I come all the way to the UK to find Australian plants in the Botanic Gardens. I also saw this:

2008 10 22-40

Aren't they stunning. The tree:

2008 10 22-39

And guess where this one is from:

2008 10 22-37

Bloody Canada. For those of you who know me, that's where I was born. How funny is that.

I was particularly looking for English plants but found the map they gave me useless so I was wandering aimlessly not really knowing where to look.

I found these triffid looking plants.

2008 10 22-82

Miscellaneous flowers

Cyclamens

2008 10 22-64

Dahlia bud

2008 10 22-57

And a dahlia. You can just see the bee in the centre. It's pretty much the same colour at the flower.

2008 10 22-59

As I was wandering around the edges of the gardens. I spotted this:

2008 10 22-70

Punts on the river waiting for someone to come and take them for a ride.

The bridge:

2008 10 22-75

And the punts:

2008 10 22-74

And the original purpose of the gardens (surprisingly the sign is readable):

2008 10 22-76

By this stage I was getting hungry and running out of steam. I left the gardens and walked and walked a bit more. I finally decided where I was going to have my lunch and had a lovely Italian feed.

This was where I had lunch, on the corner of Pensons Gardens - that little lane between the buildings.

2008 10 22-84

When I finished I realised how tired I was and how rotten I was feeling and grabbed a bus and headed home.

I arrived home feeling quite sick to find K at home in bed. Whatever I've got, she's got it too. So we spent the rest of the day curled up feeling sorry for ourselves and reading books. Still not the greatest today, sore throat and a bit achy so a rest day today.

Cheers folks. Maybe this afternoon I will write about another walk I did over the weekend.

Madeleine

Thursday, 23 October 2008

4 comments:

KazzaB said...

I don't know what's happened to your comments section. It's totally different to normal.

I hope you and K are both feeling better. I've got a bit of a sore throat myself today - more a sore tonsil feeling. So probably a bit of tonsillitis but it's only on one side.

I loved your latest photos. Funny to go over the other side of the world and see Aussie plants. LOL

Kazza

Rosymosie said...

Must admit, Kazza, not sure what happened to the comment section. Took me while to comment on my own blog !!

Definitely betterer today. Still not 100% so am taking it easy today.

Glad you liked the photos.

Veedub said...

I loved the prop for the tree branch, it's so quirky.

Poor little tree fern, it's just as well he is from Tasmania or he would never handle the English winter.

I do hope you and K are both feeling better soon...you're not having a good time with your health lately, are you? First Singapore, now this. You take care of yourself.

Rosymosie said...

My comment section has moved again. Bugger!!

Veedub, I must admit I rather enjoyed the quirkiness of the prop for the tree as well. And yes, K and I are definitely on the mend - both coughing a bit but not badly and K is back at work as I would be if I was working hehehehe