Thursday 16 October 2008

Walk

Tuesday

Yesterday I wandered into town to get my hair cut.

This is the town crier. Advertising a poster shop. He had a bell and was shouting Hear ye! Hear ye! It was really funny. Couldn't resist taking a photo.

Misc 007

In Medieval England, the town crier was like the local newspaper.

Royal proclamations, local bylaws, market days, adverts, even selling loaves of sugar were all proclaimed by a bellman or crier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_crier

A town crier is a person who is employed by a town council to make public announcements in the streets. The crier can also be used in court or official announcements. Criers often dress elaborately, by a tradition dating to the 18th century, in a red and gold robe, white breeches, black boots and a tricorne hat.

They carry a handbell to attract people's attention, as they shout the words "Oyez, Oyez, Oyez!" before making their announcements. The word "Oyez" means "hear ye," which is a call for silence and attention. Oyez derives from the Anglo-Norman word for listen. The proclamations book in Chester from the early 19th century records this as O Yes, O Yes!

And this poor town crier is advertising a poster shop.

Another interesting sight was this sign.

Misc 002

I wasn't game to go down and find out what the "overnight facilities" were like !!

Wednesday

I went for a short walk today. The wind was blowing and it feels more like winter. The trees are starting to lose their leaves and reminding me of childhood in Canada.

Misc 014

I met a woman. She was old, with a walking stick and her dog. Something made me speak to her and say hello. Her dog was a Papillon and she told me that he had been a breeding dog in a past life. She told me about getting married in South Africa and moving to England with her husband. She told me about how the upper class English treated her as a South African emigrant to the UK. She was lovely and obviously well known in the neighbourhood because as we were talking, a man stopped and talked to her.

After a while, I left her and her dog to make their way where ever they were going and I headed home.

Also on my walk, I spotted this pub on the river.  We might just test out the food here. I like the idea of sitting in one of those windows and looking at the river, wind blowing and us nice and warm inside.

Misc 012

And these are some of the gardens that back onto the river.

Misc 016

And these are the houses on Helen Street. As you noticed Veedub. Most of the houses here are attached. There are not many that are freestanding like we have in Australia. Many also have bay windows. Apparently these are terrace houses. 

In architecture and city planning, a terrace(d) or row house or townhouse (though the latter term can also refer to patio houses) is a style of housing in use since the late 17th century, where a row of identical or mirror-image houses share side walls. The first and last of these houses is called an end terrace, often larger than those houses in the middle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraced_house

Misc 015

I'm afraid that's all for now folks. Quiet couple of days. Big weekend coming up. We have visitors coming, 2 adults for a couple of nights and then they are off to Paris leaving two little boys here. Could be interesting.

Madeleine

Wednesday, 15 October 2008

8 comments:

Kahless said...

I think it would be cool if you got to see some Morris Dancers.

KazzaB said...

I haven't got time to read the whole post this morning but just had to comment on the town crier. I didn't know they actually had them anymore!! Kewl hey!!

Well it's off to Uni. Only two more weeks to go, thank goodness!!

Veedub said...

Even the terrace houses are different. I spent the first 12 years of my life in a terrace house in Sydney...we had verandahs upstairs and downstairs with wrought iron lace trim.

I would have loved to see a photo of the "overnight facilities". I can remember underground toilets from when I was a child growing up in Sydney in the fifties...I don't think they have them any more...there was always a woman there to keep an eye on things and it cost a penny to go...hence spend a penny.

Rosymosie said...

Hi Kahless. I did see some morris dancers when I was here in the 1960s. I might post the old photos I scanned on another blog. They were really kew.

Kazza, the last push and you are finished for another year !! Yah !! I must admit I was surprised to see the town crier LOL. Obviously they hire them for advertising and stuff like that. Would be interested to check out how you get one and what it costs LOL

Veedub, I can remember the "public facilities" from being a kid as well. A place no self respecting girl went alone LOL. And I'm not going in just to satisfy your curiosity. Well I don't think I am LOL.

As far as terrace houses go, we didn't have them in Canada so they were really new for me. There are lots and lots of them. As I said, free standing houses in Oxford (and in London) are very rare. Outside the city, yes, but not in the city.

KazzaB said...

You would really want your neighbours to be nice quiet ones, wouldn't you, living in a terrace house. A bit like me living in the duplex with a common wall, luckily I have quiet neighbours.

Did you get a bit of a fur kid fix from the old ladies dog, seem your Ally is on the other side of the world??? Sounds like she was an interesting person to have a chat with.

Rosymosie said...

Yes, Kazza I did get a bit of the fur kid fix. He was quite happy for me to pet him LOL.

The walls seem quite soundproof. We're attached on both sides of the house and don't seem to hear the neighbours at all. I notice more noise from people walking down the street than from the houses.

Anonymous said...

Oops! Looks like someone lost their ball in the creek. Bumma!

What an amazing journey!

roses

Rosymosie said...

I hadn't even noticed it Roses. Good spotting. And yes, it is an amazing journey and it's really only just started