Monday 6 October 2008

Miniatura

Impressions - pleased and disappointed - probably in equal measures. I'm really glad I went. Really cross that although I remembered to take my battery chargers for both Lara and the camera, I forgot the adaptor so I could plug them in. So I spent all of Sunday with no camera and no Lara.

2008 10 04-41

This was the queue on Saturday morning. I saw some people had show guides and I stopped a woman to ask her where she got it from. American accent told me that she was getting them for her group and if she had any left that I could have one. All this said as she was walking away from me, very officiously.

So while we were waiting, we headed off to the coffee shop to top up the caffeine levels.

2008 10 04-40

Miniatura is a trade show and nothing more. I did not find out anything more about miniatures in the UK, but did see some incredible work. Much of which I couldn't afford. There was no section which was just display scenes like we do in Perth. Some of the stalls had scenes and I got some great ideas. I did spend a lot of money, I must admit, but an really pleased with my purchases.

The other interesting thing was the different nationalities. I met a Dutch woman, Helga Sadowski, who made character dolls, a bit like Kim Murdock in Perth. The Dutch woman's display at the show tended to be naked men and women in all their glory, but looking at her web page, she does much, much more. In spite of the language difference, we managed to have a great conversation.

Some miscellaneous photos:

2008 10 04-45 Ties and braces

 

Fireplace bits and pieces   2008 10 04-46

 

2008 10 04-51 Part of a wizard scene I was asked to photograph for my son

I had a chat with a South African couple on why Australia is so particular about what comes in through customs. They had no idea. I'm not even sure what they were selling cause I never got that far.

As well as the artisans, of which there were many, there were also those who just bought and sold miniatures. I got chatting with a guy who was advertising that this was his last Miniatura. He buys kits, does them up and sells the finished products. They were very well done, but still a bit of a disappointment in amongst the really inventive sellers.

I bought some tools from a seller. Absolutely beautifully crafted.

Scissors shears

hammer

I guess the thing that tickled my fancy the most, was a working television set. It actually played movies. You plugged it into a DVD player and then played your DVD on a miniature screen. I've got no idea how he did it, but talk about the kewlest things I've ever seen in my life.

I bought Vicki's present - well, not present. She gave me some money to buy something special. Now she's going to have to wait 4 months before she sees it !!  I could be nice to her and pop it into the mail and send it to her. Not sure if I'm going to be nice or mean yet.

I also bought a treadle sewing machine that works almost. Doesn't actually sew, but everything moves and goes around which I really like. If I could have found one that really sewed, I would have got that one instead.

All the items in Queen Mary's Dollshouse work. I guess that would be my biggest aim, to have all my little toys with the wheels that go wound.

Madeleine

Monday, 6 October 2008

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

Kahless said...

Wow. The working tv. What size was it?

And I reckon you will be nice and post Vicki her present.

And I havent pulled my finger out yet and checked out the train....!
Though I have been in London.

KazzaB said...

The little tools are gorgeous!! At least now you can say you have been, altho it was a bit of a disappointment. It's a shame they don't have a display like our show, with all sorts of miniatures.

Veedub said...

Thank you. I can wait 4 months, now I know you actually managed to get it...and I would be devastated if it went astray in the mail. The dimensions would be handy though so I can leave a space for it.
Sounds like they had some great stuff and I loooove the tools.
I'll bet the air was blue when you discovered you didn't have the adaptor!

Ken said...

Good morning Roseymosy. The Minatura looks well participated. Must be a buzz to be around so many mini devotees. I hope the muffins and cuppa's were regular sized.

I would like to see a minature astrologers office with charts and all.

kenoath

Rosymosie said...

Kahless, the screen was probably smaller than your average business card. I reckon I'm not going to be nice and I'm going to watch Vicki's face as I give it to her LOL

BTW how can I get to your place when none of the journey planners have heard of you ????

It was still a good visit, Kazza. And some of the work was totally incredible.

Yes, Veedub, the air was slightly blue when I realised what I'd done. We are off to Cornwall this weekend and I will definitely take the adaptor with me this time !!

BTW I will send you the dimensions by email.

Ken, a mini astrologer's shop/room would be rather kewl, I agree. how you going buddy??

Kahless said...

You get to Chester and I pick you up from the coach or the train station.

I havent researched yet places. The train up Snowdon is operating for another month.