Friday 3 October 2008

Well, there you go

This morning when I went to the Oxford Railway Station, I saw this across the road from where I was standing. I photographed it, and then looked for information on what it's purpose was and what it represented.

Oxford Ox by Olivia Musgrave

Guess what I discovered.

This public sculpture was by a woman called Olivia Musgrave.

Oxford grew up at the conjunction of two rivers, the Thames and the Cherwell (pronounced Char-well). Indeed, the very reason for Oxford's existence was the presence of a ford for oxen crossing the Thames (that ford was located near the present Folly Bridge).

http://www.britainexpress.com/cities/oxford/rivers.htm

Fact #12 - Warning: Cow Crossing

The name Oxford comes from the old term 'Oxanforda' which literally meant a ford (shallow crossing) in the river where the cattle (Oxen) could cross safely.

http://www.oxfordcityguide.com/FunFacts.html

 

Another bit of There you go from my internet research this afternoon:

Fact #7 - You're Being Watched

gargoyle
gargoyle
gargoyle

As you walk around the Colleges, be sure to look up once in a while. All over Oxford's buildings are gargoyles (technically 'grotesques' as these don't spout water) - some in the shape of faces, some animals, some entire people. The keenest of eyes will spot the funnier ones - the one picking his nose, the one going to the bathroom...

http://www.oxfordcityguide.com/FunFacts.html

So that answers my question from my earlier posting.

Madeleine

Thursday, 2 October 2008

6 comments:

KazzaB said...

It's funny writing this when I know you are snoring away, by the clock on your blog. LOL
It doesn't say why there are gargoyles all over the building - you know I'm a why person!! hehehe So why did they put these ugly little faces all over a building??? Interesting post and I'll have another look at the link you left there.

Hope you're having a good sleep and not dreaming of gargoyles!! LOL

Kazza

KazzaB said...

Have you seen the shark house yet? Just reading about it in your link and expect someone who didn't know it was there would do a double take and not believe their eyes!! LOL

Rosymosie said...

No, I haven't seen the shark house. You know more about it all than I do LOL.

I gather part of the job of the gargoyles was to scare away evil spirits.

KazzaB said...

Vicki looked the gargoyles up on the internet cause I told her I was too lazy to do it myself. LOL They were to ward of evil spirits but there was more about them and draining water or something.

Rosymosie said...

If they drain water, they are gargoyles, if they don't they are "grotesques" LOL. And I think the funny shapes and faces are to ward off evil spirits.

Ken said...

the more evil-scary looking the better they are as functional gargoyles. Indeed they are to keep the evil spirits away and have become traditional for architecture. Of course the superstitions in medeival times warranted such "anti evil" devices be installed literally everywhere. Much like CTV cameras are doing now.

There was one scary gargoyle in Piccadilly arcade here in Perth. It was at the front of the building. Sometimes the faces have special meanings or make statements about the architect or client. Like a secret nmessage for somebody.

ken