Wednesday 8 October 2008

Interesting Walk

I've had a lovely quiet day at home so about 330 this p.m. I decided to go for a walk. I just sort of followed my nose and ended up seeing something I've heard of in stories, but never seen in real life.  I watched a canal boat go through a lock.

I was just following my nose. One day I'm going to find a walking map that I can mark my route on so I know where I went and how to get back there again.

Anyway, I crossed the bridge and saw a towpath so I decided to follow it. I went over this bridge (The Osney Bridge)

Walk 007

Went across another little footbridge and looked down on this.

Walk 008

 

I also had to take a photo of this cause I've got no idea what it is. So when I don't know, I take pictures.

Walk 009

I do love signs, and I found some really interesting ones today. I do think sometimes the sign makers just enjoy stating the obvious.

Walk 010

Walking down the tow path. I've got no idea what these buildings are.

Walk 012

Pub on the corner. I think every corner has a pub.

Walk 016

Okay, again, considering the size of the path, another obvious sign.

Walk 015

Bubbling water near the lock.

Walk 023

Walk 024

It was about here that I spotted the boat and realised that I might just see the boat go through the lock !!

Walk 026

Walk 025

The green boat tied up to the side of the lock. You can just see it in the corner of the photo. The two people hopped out and tied the boat to the side. The woman went to the further away gate and closed it and the water started coming into the spot between the two gates

Walk 027

You can see the guy holding the boat steady as the water fills the lock.

Walk 030

Water is filling into the lock.

Walk 031

And now the lock starts to open. Madeleine's camera clicking madly.

Walk 032

Walk 033

 

Walk 033

Walk 034

 

Walk 036

Walk 037

Walk 038

And it's all over. Below is the boat further downstream, parking with the other boats.

Walk 040

 Walk 043

The ducks came to visit me on the walk back. And as I was crossing the bridge again, I spotted these guys.

Walk 046

I think they were all settling down for the night.

So that was my interesting walk. I'm glad I didn't have to go to work today. I also got paid for my little walk and taking pictures.

Cheers

Madeleine

Tuesday, 7 October 2008

8 comments:

Kahless said...

Indded, a pub on every corner,

Kahless said...

Fantastic photo's btw.

KazzaB said...

I don't really understand the boat bit or what happens and why it happens. Great pictures though and an interesting walk!!
It's amazing with the signs. Like you said, they always state the obvious. LOL

Veedub said...

Love the photos...particularly the ducks all in a row. The pub looks very long and narrow... but I guess it wouldn't need to be big if there's lots of them.

Anonymous said...

Hey Maddi,

Looks fascinating. I don't understand what the lock is for though??

I went to TKD last night and they all asked about you. Linda is in London too getting her accolade as the highest ranked female in the world Woohoo! oh yes shes also gettng married too :o)

Keep up the fabulous holidaying

xoxoxox nadz

Rosymosie said...

Thanks Kahless. I was rather pleased with the photos as well.

Kazza and Nadia: Locks are used to raise and lower boats between stretches of water of different levels on river and canal waterways. It's hard to explain. Do some googling and you will understand.

Some of the English stories talk about the boats and the waterways in the UK, and apparently you can travel most of England via the canals and the locks.

And yes, Kazza, I always get a giggle out of signs that state the obvious LOL

Veedub - the ducks gave me a giggle as well. I reckon they are well fed cause every time I stopped I had duck visitors.

Nadz, I will keep up the fabulous holidaying. Say Hi to the gang at TKD if they aren't reading about my adventures !!

So with TKD we will be being trained by the highest ranking female in the world, how kewl is that !!

Anonymous said...

Gosh i'm glad you have your camera and are good at using it too. Enjoy your time off.

KazzaB said...

What really astounds me and always has, is the buildings right on the water. I've never been in a building that is sitting right next to the water, where there isn't any gap or path between the two. I reckon Venice would be amazing to visit too.

I'm off to a workshop for the next three days, so enjoy your trip to Cornwall and I look forward to the photos!!