Friday 28 December 2012

English Bed and Breakfast

The English B&B are interesting experiences. Usually upstairs, often up many scary stairs. The ones in Bradford on Avon were stone stairs outside, and exactly the wrong height for normal people and therefore very uncomfortable to walk up. They looked lovely, but were really hard to go up
The place in Bath, was awesome. Except for all the stairs. You can in at road level, to M&K&F's room. The only thing on that level. To get to the dining and living area, you went down a long flight of stairs. To get to my room, you went up a long flight of stairs from the road level (or 2 flights from the living/dining area), then you went around a corner, and down another small flight of stairs. There were 3 more levels above me, but they weren't my problem.

Tonight, we had one long flight of stairs to a landing, then a couple more off to each side.

Stairs here tend to be steep, and long.

My legs are not used to stairs.

The other thing that English B&B's seem to have a lot of is mirrors. The last place we were in, had ginormous mirrors in each room. Even large ones in the bathroom. They seem to like mirrors in front of the toilet, so when a woman stands up, she can see everything she doesn't want to see.

Wardrobe mirrors. you know the wardrobe doors that are mirrors. Yes, those one. At the end of the bed, so that the first thing you see when you wake up is your morning face. Not a good look. Luckily I'm very good at ignoring mirrors. I know they are supposed to make small areas look bigger, but hey.................
 I think these were “in” in the 80's.

Showers: Most of the B&B's we've been in have private showers. However, I reckon that you often need an engineering degree to work them. This one seems simple enough. In the last place, they had an old system and a new system hooked up together and you had to turn this dial, and then that one, and eventually you got some hot water. Similar situation in Bradford. I actually need someone to work it out for me before I can have one.

The B&B we are in tonight is quite simple. One shower head, and a tap. One of the places we visited today had two shower heads and a number of taps. Didn't take a photo cause I felt it would be a bit impolite to ask if I could photograph their shower!!

All very interesting. My legs are getting used to the stairs and don't groan as much as they did a couple of days ago. Hills they are still struggling with, but improving. I'm used toa city where you drive everywhere, and if you walk, it is mainly flat, and houses are one story, so no stairs to go up. Certainly not steep narrow ones.

Catchya all.

Madeleine
Thursday, 27 December 2012

2 comments:

Veedub said...

It sounds like you will be very fit by the end of your trip!

Unknown said...

Mum's favourite place in England was Bath.

Karen