Thursday 13 December 2012

Perth International Airport

8:15 p.m. Still 45 minutes to wait until we go in for our flight, but the place is starting to fill up. Sitting with my$4 coke, just killing time. Interestingly enough, Perth International Airport does not have Wi-Fi. It has one station where you can get free internet access, on their machine. But not on mine. So no killing time with FB. Pills are working a dream. Feeling quite calm and relaxed. Still getting used to this keyboard on my netbook and the space bar really needs a punch to get it going.

As usual this waiting bit is almost as boring as being on the plane. At least I am on the ground and can go and walk around. I've been to other international airports in the past, and I guess Perth's is probably one of the most boring. Singapore has some great eating places, has a butterfly house which helps to kill time. Don't know much about Heathrow. Don't seem to remember it very well for some reason. I suspect most of these people are waiting for the same flight as me. A couple of women in a hijab, an Araby looking man with a funny little hat (I'm sure it has a name, but no idea what it's called).

I did load up my Kindle for PC the other night so have some books on here as well. The one I started reading is quite hilarious. If anyone has seen any of the old private eye series on television, well this one reminds me very much of that sort of style. Strong man, gorgeous woman, doesn't usually get involved with his clients, but this one is just too encouraging and enticing. Even the language is that same sort of language the boys used to use.

Karen dropped me off quite early. I was pleased. She doesn't like being out at night and coming home in the dark, so I was here before 7:30 for a 10p.m. Flight. But they were already checking in the bags and they went off without any hitch. So here I sit, reading my incredibly funny whodunnit, people watching, and writing on my little netbook.

And so far, I don't seem to have forgotten anything. I think of something, dig through my bag and there it is. I must get myself a small wheelie cabin bag. This one is quite heavy, and full. Must admit, I really don't travel light. I've got my camera, my netbook, even remembered to bring my proper mouse with the little dooverlackie that plugs it in so no cords.

I might go downstairs, have one more smoke and then head into the departure area. If they will let me. Will hopefully be tables and chairs in there as well.

A bit later. Awesome. I can flip from my book to my writing without having to close down programs and start them again. Even when I turn it off, they are still right there. Enough to keep a Madeleine occupied for several hours. Who knows.

A fee minutes later:
Been through customs. Was checked for gunshot residue, me and my bags, but a lovely young man doing it and we had a chat about the party poppers and whether they would show up as gunshot residue with their test. He figured that it would have to be very little and probably wouldn't register. The question came from my last trip when we had party poppers (for some reason), just before I went on the flight and someone reckoned I should be careful cause they would “get” me!! So that question is answered. People are really friendly when you ask them questions. At the immigration place, there were three signs, one was obviously a camera and the last one was an old mobile phone. The middle one had me beat. She reckoned it was probably an old video camera.

I have taken a full tablet. Feel awesome. Actually enjoying the wait rather than dreading it. I do love my drugs.

The uniforms for the Emirates hostesses are rather glamorous. They have lovely red hats, and white flowing scarves Didn't notice the rest of the outfit as I was so intrigued with the hats and scarves. Some women really can carry scarves and look great. I just look bundled up when I wear one.

Had to leave my bottle of water and the last of my coke behind before I could come in here. So bought myself another bottle. Taken a couple more panadol to make sure the joints stay as pain free as I can. I've got my pressure stockings in my bag.

Almost forgot them. Was walking out the door and noticed them on the floor. Picked them up and then dropped them in a puddle in the driveway so they might be just a bit damp. But hey, you get that.

It's really warm in here and still am carrying my jumper. I know I will need it on the plane.

Change of gate for some passengers, not me. They are still trying to find a couple of people who appear to be running late for their flight. Quite funny. Wonder where they are. Hiding in the loo. Stuck in immigration? Who knows.

Better go have one last pee. Water is starting to work it's way through my system.

That's more better. Got back,long queue around my gate. Went up to one of the people and showed her my boarding pass. She showed me the bit I was looking for and then told me where to wait. Queue was a mile long. I suggested it might be a good idea to sit back down for a while, and she agreed. Airport staff are generally very pleasant and helpful. Particularly if you are polite and friendly. Approach with a smile, any question, no matter how stupid it might seem, they treat it like it is worth answering. Good PR.

Well there you go. They are calling my boarding time. No anxiety at all.

ON the plane. These pills are totally awesome. No anxiety at all.Not even on takeoff. Didn't enjoy it but it didn't seem to take as long as normal and I wasn't in a total panic. So far we have been given lovely warm towels, and a little cosmetic type case with an eye mask, pair of socks, and a toothbrush with a tiny toothpaste. All in the main brown of the emirates uniform colour.
I spoke to the lass when I got on the plane. Commented on how striking I found the little red had and the white scarf and she reckoned that it helped to take away from the blandness of the rest of the uniform. Then I looked at it properly and realised it was all a pretty bland brown. Lovely style and shape to it, but the colour was not particularly attractive. She reckoned that later in the trip I could take a photo of her in her uniform. How awesome is that? Will see what eventuates. Well I forgot, didn't I? Oh well, it happens.
The hosties are all busy backing and forthing up and down the aisles. Not sure what's up. I do know that we will be being fed soon which is good as I am starting to get peckish. Karen and I had dinner from the Kiara food hall but that was 5 hours ago. It's amazing how time flies. This, so far has been one of my best trips yet. I took ½ of the muralax, and that really took the edge off the anxiety and then took another ½ shortly before we got on the plane. Is making such a big difference. I'm chatting to people again. Feeling excited and enjoying my writing.
Hopefully will have some photos soon. There are lots of places you can't take photos. This machine is a bit of a pain in the bumski. The space bar often doesn't work and you get a collection of attached words that should be separate and then you have to go back and correct them. Might wait till I get to Dubai and fix it all then. Too much like hard work now.

The entertainment system is awesome. Particularly for a gadget queen like me. I have a remote control. I can change the movie, turn on my light without having to stand up and reach up, and apparently you can make phone calls with it as well. I'm about to ask if they have wifi. Lost track of asking re wi-fi, and just settled for movies.

There was a large young man, a seat in front and to my right. He really should have been wearing tighter pants. Every time he got up and bent over, I could see his bum crack. Not only that, but he
had a hairy bum. Not a pretty sight when you've been asleep and wake up to that.

Trip relatively uneventful. A couple of rough patches, but my drugs worked really well. I could feel my anxiety drop even at the airport where I started writing this. I do love drugs.

Madeleine
13 December 2012 (from Dubai)

1 comment:

KazzaB said...

I love the comment about the young man with the hairy butt. hehe I also like the descriptions, really brings it to life - I'd love to be flying somewhere. Maybe next year!! Not as far as you tho. Glad you enjoyed it with the help of your meds. LOL

Karen