Saturday 21 June 2008

Expectations

Kahless often triggers memories for me. We were chatting this morning (morning her time as well as mine), and she said: “Oz is a lovely country but it has a lot of creepy creatures!” and brought back another memory from when I first arrived in Australia.


I was 25 years old. I had lived in London and Heidelberg, returned to Canada, and then decided to move to Australia. In those days, I loved walking around barefoot. And one of the things I had decided was that because Australia was so warm, I could walk around barefoot all the time.


I arrived in March, nice and hot and took off my shoes, thinking that I could do this all the time. Great!! I went into town one day, checking things out. I was living in Brisbane at this stage in my life. I’m walking along the footpath, barefoot of course, and suddenly this ginormous cockroach runs across the path in front of me.


Now coming from Canada, the only cockroaches I had seen, or even heard about, were the ones that lived in dirty houses. And there I was, with all my dreams shattered !! Imagine stepping on one of these in your bare feet


There was no way I was going to walk around barefoot and risk stepping on one of THOSE !!


Madeleine

Saturday, 21 June 2008

6 comments:

Kahless said...

Yuck!

I remember on holiday in Greece once getting up in the night to go to the loo. I turned the athroom light on but had kept my eyes shut as I didnt want the full glare straight away. When I was on the loo I opened my eyes and there were loads of cockroaches. Ewl!!!!

Least you dont see them in GB unless in a dirty place.

You have snakes too....

Rosymosie said...

Yup. we have snakes. And that reminds me of another story LOL. Lots of snakes. Lots of spideys as well.

KazzaB said...

Another problem with going barefoot here, particularly in summer is the ground is too hot and you're likely to get your tootsies burnt.

I have never been able to tread on creatures, the thought turns my stomach. Icky!!

Kazza

Rosymosie said...

Thanks for that morning picture Kazza. And yes, that was something that hadn't occurred to me either. But when I arrived it was nearing the end of summer, I don't remember that being a problem.

Kahless said...

Do you have a photo of Sunny you can post?

Rosymosie said...

If you want to see her, go to
http://gezunda.blogspot.com/2008/05/cupboard-cat.html

The first picture is the Sunny cat.