Sunday 29 June 2008

My Fashion History 1

Kahless asked for some fashion pics of me through the years. That I have. My mother took lots of photos same as I do. I wonder who I got it from??








This one isn’t really about fashion. Just a bit of history. I was born in Montreal Canada in 1946. This is the first photo of me. I would have been about 5 or 6 months at this stage. I was born in summer and this is definitely a winter photo. Obviously no prams in those days, not for winter. So here is baby Madeleine, all rugged up, blanketed, and on a sleigh. After raising children in Australia, this seems pretty odd to me.















What the best dressed babies were wearing in Canada in 1947.




Just threw this one in for the cuteness factor. Year 1949. Age 3











Okay, fashion. The family photo. In all the photos I have, everyone is posed and well dressed. This is my father, myself (the little one) and two elder sisters. Girls wore little short skirts, shoes and socks. This was 1951, so I was 5, middle sister was 8, and big sister was 14. Father wearing a suit and tie of course. BTW I still have bony knees.












1953

Two little girls all dressed up for Easter. Told you I wore gloves and a hat. I was 7 here and my sister was 10. You could see she was already starting to outgrow me. Don’t I look like a pompous little git !!








Here are 2 photos from 1956. One in every day wear, and one all dressed up for Christmas. I would have been 10 here. These are also the first photos of me wearing glasses. Maybe that’s why I looked like such a git in the earlier one, I couldn’t see a damn thing !! I was probably wearing socks with shoes. Girls in those days did















1958 Age 12

Me and my best friend. Girls were allowed to hold hands in those days. You can see the girl is beginning to develop into a woman. Pony tails were in. Girls still wore socks and shoes. Definitely no high heeled shoes at age 12. Full skirts, with the belt (cinch belt it was called. Damn, where did that memory come from.).

I thought I was gorgeous !! My mother made my dress. She made all our clothes. We couldn’t afford to buy new ones and decent people did not buy second hand clothes.













In the next year, for some reason we went from wide skirts to tight skirts. Here’s two from 1959.




















The one on the left is with my friend again at our graduation from primary school and the other is my nephew’s christening. I’m not sure why the total difference in the style. Maybe one was seen as more formal with the wide skirts, and the straight skirts less formal. Again, still wearing socks and flat shoes, even though by this stage I was 13 years old. My older sister is wearing flat shoes as well, but nylons (stockings to you younguns). Now stocking were held up with things. Garter belts, or girdles depending on your age. Garter belts were to hold up your stockings. Girdles were to make sure your tummy was tucked in and didn’t stick out and look fat and ugly as well as hold up your stockings.


At this point, I will stop. There will be a part 2 cause I’m rather enjoying this wander down memory lane. Also it’s getting late and really is time to go to bed.

Madeleine

Sunday, 29 June 2008

8 comments:

Kahless said...

Wow.
Absolutely fabulous; thanks for sharing.
You are a cute kid! (with bony knees!)
I look forward to the next instalment.

Take a look at me as a kid here

KazzaB said...

I love the photos of little you, in one of them you can see the cheekiness already there!! Fantastic photos and I love the fashions back then. Not sure about the shoes and socks tho........!! LOL Although I remember as a kid wearing shoes and socks in photos.

Rosymosie said...

You wore socks with shoes too Kahless :-). You are welcome for sharing. I used to be so embarassed by the bony knees and the slight bow I have. Now I just hide them under slacks and jeans.

Keep watching. Don't know when the next installment will be. I'm only just outta bed on sunday and it's almost 945.

Rosymosie said...

Aussies of my kids times were more likely to wear shoes with no socks. We never did that. it was either socks or stockings. And yes, I think that's why I had to put that one in, the cheekiness is already there, Kazza

Kahless said...

I still wear socks with my shoes
lol!

I was only kidding about your knees btw.

Rosymosie said...

LOL Kahless. I also wear socks with my shoes, but not with skirts. Not nowadays.

Kahless said...

I dont wear skirts or dresses lol!

Rosymosie said...

I own two skirts that my daughter in sin talked me into buying. They do look nice and I wear them, but not as often as I wear pants. I like the comfort of them. Don't have to worry about curling up in a chair.

You and I are going to get on very well I reckon Kahless.