Sunday 29 June 2008

My Fashion History 2

We are up to 1960. Supposedly the years of the beatnik, free love etc. Well this was ordinary suburban 14 year old was wearing as casual wear.

Still socks, but tightish around the chest, nothing lose. My friend had lost her pony tail. By this stage we were in high school and no longer inseparable. Different classes and beginning to make different friends.

However we were starting to date. Here’s me ready to go out on a date. He’s wearing a tie and “casual” suit. Always a jacket and tie for special events for the boys and a shirt with a collar. Notice the hanky in his breast pocket.

Dig the shoes. I had graduated to high heels and stockings. Very modest neckline. I don’t remember cleavages amongst teenagers like they do now. I do know that all my dresses were very modest in that respect. Also felt we were really “out there” with the length of the dresses. Showing a bit of knee sometimes. Again, tight through the top and very flared through the bottom. I was certainly never the height of fashion. Mom made all my clothes, but this was the fashion my peers were wearing. This was taken in November 1960 so there would have been a coat to go over the top. If I remember, the dress was a rich blue.




Interesting. Here’s me wearing the same dress, but with socks and shoes rather than stockings. So at 14 I was still wearing socks and stockings. I suspect it had something to do with the price of stockings and that they kept getting holes in them. Knowing me I had probably wrecked my last pair of stockings and had to wear socks !!











1961 Formal and casual wear for 15 year olds in Montreal.



















May 1961 and July 1961, my 15th Birthday. I’d obviously had my hair cut in between. The dress I think was a sort of taffeta. I’m not sure how to describe it. Interesting that we were allowed to show our knees in shorts, but not in dresses.

Obviously that corner of the lounge was out photo taking spot. Funny I don’t remember that picture on the wall (the dancer) but it’s in a lot of the photographs.

The stereo in the left picture was my father’s pride and joy. I’ve forgotten the brand but it was really, really special.

Now we go to the other corner of the lounge. Funny I don’t remember mom being a plant person, but obviously I was wrong.





1962. My winter coat. I really wanted a purple winter coat. Mom made it. Again, we couldn’t afford to buy expensive. So she made me my purple winter coat. I can remember her not being happy with purple. I suspect she wanted a black or brown or some other more neutral colour. I remember her saying: “you know it has to last for years” and, “if you get tired of it, well, that’s too bad.” I don’t remember getting tired of it. A bit of a rebel even back then I guess.









Also starting to get the occasional colour photos from here. Still lots of black and white, but obviously colour film was becoming more and more accessible to the average person.

July 1962 My mother’s comment on the picture was “Sweet Sixteen” so I suspect it was my birthday and 4 of us went out somewhere. No idea where, but there are photos of two couples, all dressed up ready to go out somewhere.






Heels are getting higher, stilettos. Very pointy toes. This dress was a very soft flowing material. I still like the looks of it for some reason.








I might just finish off this bit with 1963. Skirts are starting to go straight and tight. Still very high heels and pointed toes.





I wasn’t into the really tight skirts. Possibly mom’s influence. I do know I never had any confidence in my figure. I don’t remember. And still below the knee. Nothing above the knee.








This next one is interesting. This is the first photo of me wearing slacks. I’ve got some of me in shorts, but none in slacks. Considering that I rarely wear dresses or skirts nowadays, maybe I got it all out of my system then.

This was Christmas 1962, so I would have been 17 and damn I was skinny!! Look at that flat bloody belly.




I don’t remember anything about these pants. I suspect they might have been ski pants, the the foot thingee on the bottom.

So there’s 17 year old Madeleine, posing for the camera. Looks like this was when I started being the clown in front of a camera instead of the “good little girl”.






That’s all for now folks. Have to find and scan a few more.

Madeleine

Sunday, 29 June 2008

15 comments:

KazzaB said...

Isn't it funny, you had a gorgeous figure and yet it seems we're never happy with how we look. I loved the fashions, they're extremely feminine. The photos are wonderful. You were a beautiful young lady.

BTW you said you changed your blog, what did you change???

Rosymosie said...

Damn I wrote a long response to this comment and it's gone, gone, gone.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young. If I looked like that now I would be quite happy. Looks like I am going to have to be satisfied with being gorgeous on the inside LOL

changes: I've made the clocks and the countdown thingee smaller and centred them all. I think I've changed the colours as well. It won't let me send it with the HTML code in the comment so will email it to you.

KazzaB said...

I'll have another look. I must admit I couldn't see the changes. LOL

Rosymosie said...

They are relatively minor. The perfectionist in me at work. Or possibly the miniature detail person in me !!

Kahless said...

Again, thanks for sharing.
Dead cool photo's.
Yes, you can see your cheekiness shine through. I love looking at the ackground of photo's and remember TV's like that too.

Rosymosie said...

the backgrounds are interesting Kahless. A lot of them I don't remember. I guess I was the sort of kid who just hid in my bedroom with my books when I was at home.

Glad you enjoyed them. there's no 3 on the way, but won't be this weekend. I'm bored with scanning LOL

Anonymous said...

You didn't remember your mum doing the plant thing? Maybe her plant thing only happened in that corner of the house.

I'm so glad i didn't miss these posts! They're lovely.

Rosymosie said...

Glad you enjoyed them Roses. And maybe you're right, maybe she kept killing them (like I do) but just replaced them whenever photos were to be taken. I can't ask her cause she's long since deaded. She would have been in her 90s by now.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!

Those shorts are just too much!!!

Graffiti

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with the shorts Mr Graffiti!

Madeleine,
Lovely shorts you're sporting in that photo. Ohh and... I'm sure you have a most lovely ax!

Rosymosie said...

Graffiti, they are not as bad as the ones you were sporting on your blog !!

thanks Roses. I don't think there's anything wrong with them either. I think he's just being very, very rude to poor little Gezunda !! :-)

Rosymosie said...

Also, Roses, were you commenting on my axe or my ass ??? Heheheheh

Trixie said...

You are VERY fashionable! Gawd, I'd HATE to show off my fashion as a teen in the Eighties.. It was hideous!

Anonymous said...

I think he feels a tad burned about his cute little shorts. Aww you could have been brother or sister or something. Kind of like sibling rilvery (honestly... i'm too lazy to bother looking up sibling rilvery to see if i spelled it right or not).

Nice bum too. Ohh, there's an 'e' on the end of 'ax'. Bumma - totally missed that one too!

Rosymosie said...

Trixie, give it another 10 years or so and all of a sudden the 80s fashion will become fashionable or at least something to look back on without shame :-). That happened with the 60s fashions so I suspect it will happen with other years.

Roses, yes, axe is spelled with an e on the end. And I actually think Graffiti looks great in his really short shorts.