Saturday 14 June 2008

Football England 1969

This post is for Kahless and everyone else who is interested in football. Now don’t ask me what sort it was, cause I don’t have a clue.


I was living in London at the time and someone (probably male) suggested I go to an English soccer match. I think it was soccer. In Canada, in 1969, soccer was unheard of. So I decided to go. It was quite exciting. Lots of noise from the crowd. Lots of shouting and singing.

When I think about it now, and the number of people in the stadium and all the things I’ve heard on the news about soccer crowds, I feel quite a sense of anxiety and probably would never go again. But hey, I was 22 years old and invincible. And I’m glad I went. I’m glad I took the photos. Even though I don’t remember much about it. I don’t even remember who I went with. I did have a Welsh boyfriend around about that time.



Kahless, I have no idea who was playing, where it was held, when it was, or anything else about it.

Madeleine

Saturday, 14 June 2008

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Rosymosie,

that looks like a good day out you had all those years ago.

By the looks of the goal posts that is the footy I used to play at high school. I don't think it is soccer but it likes like a good game of old fashioned rugga!

Graffiti

Rosymosie said...

Hi Graffiti. I wouldn't know the difference in the goal posts. but yes, I do sort of remember it as being a good day out. Wish I could remember who I went with :-)

KazzaB said...

Looks like a very big crowd there - so even back then they were very serious about their soccer/rugby.

KazzaB

Rosymosie said...

I don't remember it as having the riots and stuff they do now. But all I'm doing is hearing about it in Australia. Could be totally different there. There was no sense of danger, just high excitement.

Kahless said...

Hi Rosymosie, I am just having a quick lunch so will be back later.

That is rugby not football. I will write something tonight to explain the difference!

Anonymous said...

Yep. Looks like foot ball of some kind. The big goal posts. We pretty much only have Rugby league here but sometimes there's rugby union and Aussie rules on the telly. I don't know either, which one it is but i hope you have really fond memories of it.

I hope your trip to England is really really nice. It matters i think.

Rosymosie said...

Kahless I knew you would know :-). I wouldn't have a clue. I didn't know the whole time I was there what the rules were or anything. Just enjoyed the excitement of the crowd.

and Roses, My trip to the UK will be great. I will keep blogging so you will know how nice it was.

Kahless said...

Rosy,
I have posted on my blog for you to see the difference!

Rosymosie said...

Thanks for that Kahless. I suspect you are asleep in bed right now. Ain't Utube grand !!