Friday 7 November 2008

Accosted in Debenham's

I went to Debenham's the other day to see about getting some gloves or mittens to keep my poor little hands warm. Debenham's is a department store with about 3 levels. The children's department is up on the top. So up the escalator I go and on one of the levels I am accosted by this man. He asked me if I did anything with my nails. I said, no, I didn't. Then he asked if he could see my nails. I looked at him in surprise, and said, no he couldn't. He looked at me in surprise, almost taken aback and off I went. I'm not sure why he wanted to look at my nails, but personally I found it totally invasive. I also think he is not used to people saying no to him, which I must admit gives me the giggles.

Today I went into town again to mail a parcel for K at the post office. Now I am becoming quite confident with my walking around Oxford so I didn't take my map. I wandered down the streets, still eyeing off the shops to find some gloves that fit and suddenly realised I had run out of shops, and had still not reached the post office. I had remembered it as being quite a distance from home. I paced back and forth for a couple of minutes trying to get my bearings and then asked a man who was standing at the bus stop. I had become too confident and gone down the wrong street !! Damn. Maybe I should remember to take my map with me next time I go out shopping. I had to retrace my steps and turns out the post office was much, much closer than I had remembered.

And that brings up another thought. When I first arrived here in Oxford, the walk into town seemed to last forever. It seemed like miles and miles away. Now, I realise just how close town really is. The problem is, my mind still has itself back in that original sense of being miles away and when I get organised to go out, I have to remind myself that it's not really as far as I think it is. Funny how first impressions last even in the face of reality.

I'm off to Wales tomorrow to meet up with Kahless and may or may not have time to write anything or to post any pictures.

So until I return,

Ciao

Madeleine

Thursday, 6 November 2008

4 comments:

KazzaB said...

I love the story of the man wanting to look at your nails. LOL I bet he wasn't used to someone saying no.

I always find if I'm going somewhere in the car for the first time or even a couple of times after, it seems to take forever, but coming back takes no time at all.

Have a fantastic time with Kahless and I'll look forward to hearing all about it when you get back!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but did you find some gloves?

AND

Have a great weekend - all of you!

Anonymous said...

So strange, this was the word varification i just had... "boundale". Sounds like it could have been a country town you'd have just driven through on your travels. So cute!

Cheers...

Rosymosie said...

Hi Kazza. I plan on having a great time. And watch this space. Who knows what Kahless and I will get up to this weekend.

Roses, no I still haven't got warm gloves. I've got some that will do, but they are not very warm. Bondale does sound like a town I've been through LOL.

I will have a great weekend. Don't know about Kahless though. She's gotta put up with me this weekend.