Monday 17 November 2008

Waddesdon Manor

Today’s (Sunday, 17 November) trip was to this lovely stately home. It has been closed for the last month and is only open for a Christmas display. The display was lovely. There were Christmas scenes in all the rooms, a question to answer about each room (to win a prize), and the place was stunningly done up. I wasn’t all that impressed with all the Christmas stuff although there was a couple of rooms which weren’t standard Christmas. One of the scenes was “The Snowman” by Raymond Briggs and for anyone who’s not read or head of this delicious children’s story, have a read. Here’s a version, I think the narrator is David Bowie.

Anyway that bit was delightful. Christmas carols all around the place. But I would have liked to have been able to see the house without all the glitz of Christmas around. So we mainly looked around the grounds and they were pretty stunning. Starting with:

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0016

Now how stunning is that !!

Now this was interesting. Topiary. And judging from what I’ve read, it was done for Queen Elizabeth’s Jubliee and I gather that during the Jubilee year it was near the house itself, whereas now it’s tucked away in a corner. Also in the couple of photos I found of it, it was flowering. I would love to have seen it in flower.

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0017_edited-1

Sadly, most of the outdoor statues had been covered up or removed for winter. These were in one of the gardens, looking vaguely like ghosts. Again, I think I have far too much imagination.

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0042

I rather like this picture. Not sure how to describe it. I think it is a party of ghosts getting ready for a night of scaring people. The big guy in the front of the photo is telling them all to behave themselves.

Notice the trees are rapidly losing their leaves and starting to look quite stark.

This was the road up to the Manor gates. Looks like any suburban street until you get past the gates.

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0009

And the ornate gates. All these places seem to have incredible gates.

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0011_edited-1

These are all out of order. I seem to be just following my thoughts tonight.

These thingees on the building tickled my fancy for some reason. I wasn’t sure if they were little verandas or stairs or what. I don’t even know what to call them. Hence the word “thingee”

 

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0033

Here they are close up

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0034

Not veranda. Not stairs. Simply decoration. However, the stairs inside follow the pattern of the outside and are spiral stairs.

As usual, I was not allowed to take photos inside. A shame, but I do understand.

This was the back of the building I photographed waiting for M&K to come out of the shop.

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0047

From the manor we walked to the old stables which today had a mini-market.

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0052

How good job did I do on that one. I really like this one.

Among the shops in the Stables there was a van selling donuts, dipped in chocolate while you waited. You got three donuts on a skewer and the guy in the van (very cheeky young man he was), dipped them into the melted chocolate while you waited. Then you needed hundreds of serviettes to clean yourself off afterwards. I didn’t take a photo of them, I was too covered in chocolate to manage my camera.

There was also a train. Now anyone who knows me, knows I like trains, even this kind.

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0053

As you can see, the day was slightly dampish. A bit of rain, but not enough to stop us from wandering around without getting drenched.

A magical cave

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0056

We’re not allowed to go in because we might disturb the hobbits that live in there.

And the last thing we saw was the aviary. I tried to get some photos of the birds, but the mesh between me and them seemed to bamboozle my camera sometimes. This photo was fine for some reason.

Sulawesi Ground Dove

This is a Sulawesi Ground Dove. Apparently they can’t fly and are not native to the UK. But hey, you get that and she is rather pretty. I’m assuming she’s a she.

My final photo for this blog.

16 11_Waddesdon Manor_0092

Madeleine

Monday, 17 November 2008

5 comments:

Kahless said...

Fantastic photos!!!!!

Wow!

Oh and I like the thingees too!
And the cave!

KazzaB said...

I would hate to be in the gardens at night time with those covered statues!! I reckon my imagination would be like yours! Maybe they'd just have a rather refined ghost tea party - after all it is a refined house!! LOL

Wonderful photos again and I love your commentary with them. I reckon M or K should have taken a photo of a chocolate covered Madeleine!!

Veedub said...

Oooh, I'd love to go there and see it. I love the thingees and the cave. And how about those stables!! I guess they are the sort you read about in books where someone lives in a flat above the stables, much more posh than I would have imagined.

Anonymous said...

I think in true Aussie "Castle' style you should back a ute up to those fancy gates and take them home with you :o)

Rosymosie said...

LOL. Kahless. Thanks. You ever going to let us comment on your blog again.

Kazza, your imagination is even better than mine. I hadn't gone that far with the photo LOL. Funny how I rarely end up on the other end of the camera !!!

Veedub, the whole thing was incredible. Like most stately homes here in the UK. Many of them are run by the National Trust as the average bod can't afford to keep them up and the only way to prevent all the bits and pieces of heritage from being sold off is to protect them this way.

Nadia, now that's something I hadn't thought of. Grab the old ute, and take off with the gates. They'd look pretty kewl on my car port. However, I do think customs might have something to say to me.

Cheers everyone.