Thursday 13 November 2008

Wales: Stokyn Hall

After my experience in Singapore, I am still a bit wary about my choices of places to stay.

This time, I really lucked in with my accommodation in Wales.

Parts of Stokyn Hall were built in the 1600s and the building has been changed, and added to over the years. Besides history, Stokyn Hall has accommodation to die for.

My room:

North Wales

North Wales

Lovely and large with many drawers and things in the drawers to help if you’ve forgotten something. I found a hair dryer, a couple of toothbrushes, still in the pack, soaps, shampoo, conditioner and probably more I didn’t discover in my travels around the room.

Not only was the room large and warm, but it was comfortable as well. The bed was great and the room had plenty of space to spread out.

The house is at the top of a hill and coming up the road late at night, Kahless and I were laughing about this being a place from The Rocky Horror Picture Show and all it needed was some fog and someone to come out dressed like Dracula.

This is the road in the day time. Now imagine this road, in the dark, with a bit of fog and rain and let your imagination run wild !!

Saturday 049

I’m afraid we did !!

Llinos and James Penman were superb hosts. From welcoming me when I arrived, to being there when I returned at night after a long day, to making sure I had plenty to eat, to showing me around and giving me the history, one or the other was always available.

I can’t remember all the details Llinos told me about the house.

What I do remember is this:

Saturday 023

This is part of the old kitchen. Now of course totally replaced with a modern kitchen.

My room was built and then they realised there was no way to get into the room, so they built this glass entranceway.- a bit like a glasshouse.

Saturday 026

Saturday 024

It looks so incongruous in one way, and so delightful in another way. When I saw it, I expected to see it filled with exotic plants.

The old stone table which dates back to I don’t know when. Llinos would be able to tell you.

Saturday 041

And we mustn’t forget Max the dog who protects the place with his bark when I came in at night and then would want to be patted and loved. Here he is waiting for a stick Kahless to throw the stick.

Saturday 031_edited-2 Max cropped

I almost forgot the incredible bathroom. A combination of old and new. Lots of hot water in the modern shower,

2008 11 09-1

or alternatively a long soaky bath.

2008 11 09

I even had an old fashioned bell pull in my room. The bells are still in the kitchen. Only one works and it wasn’t this one !

2008 11 09-6

B&Bs can be a bit of a gamble sometimes. Sometimes they are great. Other times they are awful. This one is perfect. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in Wales.

Madeleine

Thursday, 13 November 2008

7 comments:

KazzaB said...

The room looks absolutely gorgeous. I love the stone table too. Is that still in the kitchen? And do they still use it?

I can see where your imagination would run wild with that road at night time. I wonder what it would be like at night, with rain or fog. Probably terrifying!! LOL

Anyways, hope you are having a great day!! I'm off to bed now my visitor has gone.

Kahless said...

Madeleine, I'll let you tell Kazza what the stone table used to be used for!!!!

Oh and Max is soooo gorgeous.

Rosymosie said...

Kazza, the room was gorgeous. It's a shame I can't post all my photos. I hope you have a good sleep. I'm going to head off shortly, and soon you will be getting out of bed and starting Friday.

Kahless, I think I might wait til she asks. Whatta ya reckon?? Yup. That Max dog is gorgeous. Notice how I cut you out of the photo !!! Did a good job I done did.

Kahless said...

I cant figure where I was in the photo.

KazzaB said...

Soooooooooo, dare I ask??? What did they use the table for??? Probably cutting peoples heads off or something by the sounds of it. Or is my imagination going into overdrive!! LOL

Max the dog does look gorgeous.

Rosymosie said...

Kahless, you were on the right hand side, trying to get him to settle by holding a stick in your hand. One I took on Sat a.m.

Kazza, they used to table to clean and chop heads off their kill. And yes, your imagination is going a bit into overdrive, but not too badly LOL

KazzaB said...

LOL, I wasn't too far off then, except I was imagining human heads!! Yep, I do have a good imagination, as you know!!