Sunday 23 November 2008

Living Coasts

I had seen blurb about Living Coasts, both on the net and in brochures and was of two minds. It is basically a zoo for water animals, birds, fish etc. They are all in enclosures, and are tame, fed by humans. The purpose of the place is to prevent these creatures from becoming extinct and to protect them from human beings.

I’m never sure of how much good this really does. Extinction happens often because the species is not fit to live in the current world. If we don’t allow them to become extinct, the next evolution may not happen. However, as a human being, who loves animals and watching them, I like the idea of being able to see creatures I would never possibly have a chance to see. And for future generations to see what I can see in my world before they become extinct.

So I took another 170 photos and will be spending weeks sorting through them and deciding which ones are worth keeping and which ones I should delete.

Both of my two minds are glad I went.

My initial impression was not all that great. Work men were busy in the entrance, ladders, tools all over the place. I know these things are necessary, but....... Also, it was built as a place for at risk species. There was a lot of hype about the risk to various species and several long ramps to the first exhibit – all hype. So my first impressions were – Stop pushing me !! Stop trying to brainwash me !!

Then I came to the penguin enclosure. I’ve not seen penguins before, only pictures. And I’m in loooooooooove. Otters still top the list, but now I think penguins come number 2 on my list of favourite outdoor animals. I can’t just say “animals” cause Ally and the cats might read this and feel hurt.

I took heaps of photos and the little buggers put on a show for me. They dived into the water and pretended they were high speed dolphins, zooming up, out of the water, and then diving down again!! Here’s one of the photos.

clip_image002

Damn!! I missed. I have quite a number of pictures of the water. The little buggers were moving far too fast for me to catch them. There was another couple there and he managed to catch them on camera.

clip_image004

Sign

Here’s a little guy heading off to the beach for a swim.

clip_image006

He/she has a very determined look on her/his face.

clip_image008

clip_image010

Made it.

clip_image012

These birds kept hanging around and they were beautiful.

This is, apparently, an Inca Tern. Those white bits on the side of their face stuck out like the ends of a moustache. Rather cute. Obviously tame because wherever I went, they were there. This one was literally that close to me when I took the photo. I didn’t use the zoom.

More birds. This one is called The Black-necked Stilt

clip_image014

This is a Pied Avocet. Dig the beak on it.

clip_image016

I almost got myself locked in for the night. I finished wandering through, and thought I might go and have another quick gander at the penguins. So I asked someone if I could, they said, yes, that was fine. So I headed back to the penguins. You walked up and around a couple of ramps and then through a dark space which gave some information about the penguins. When I got to the door to the outside and the penguins, it was closed up tight. So I turned around and came back only to find someone in the process of closing the door in front of me. She was as surprised as I was. She didn’t know the door in front had been closed.

Anyway, we had a bit of a chat and apparently they are working with some Australians involved with the blue penguin and were possibly getting some next year. She was saying that the people had suddenly realised that with the small colonies in Australia that if some disease hit them, it could wipe them all out so they were negotiating with European places to take some of the captive ones to prevent this from happening.

We have the spectacled eider

clip_image019

Some very comfortable South American fur seal.

clip_image021

They are apparently, Oscar, Grace and Tunanta, don’t ask me which one is which though.

And last but not least, this is a Macaroni Penguin. Dig the orange tuft on his/her head. He was telling someone off when I snapped this one.

clip_image023

Again, these are only a very few of the photos I took.

Hope you enjoyed them

Madeleine

Saturday, 22 November 2008

5 comments:

Kahless said...

I am not really a zoo person.
Share your views on the subject.

KazzaB said...

Penguins are gorgeous. They have some at the zoo here but I haven't been for years. It's on my agenda though. Not so much to see the animals because I'm not that much of a zoo person either but the grounds are really nice - they've done a lot to Perth zoo.

Your photos of the birds are great. I buy my chooks food at this place just out of town and they have cockies there. The other day this cockie (white Corella) was putting on a performance with a tin can he had in his cage. Really acting the goat by putting it on his head and acting stupid. I could have watched him all day.

Veedub said...

You are certainly finding the places to see.
I've seen penguins in the wild in Sydney Harbour and I agree on the cuteness...I think it's their waddly walk.

Tony White said...

Yes I did enjoy the photographs Gez,

Especially the ones of the Fur seals.
Now they look like they know how to enjoy self!!

Graffiti

Rosymosie said...

I'm not sure about zoos Kahless. I don't think I would like to be locked up in a cage or enclosure. I do know that zoos are far more aware than they used to be, but part of me feels that if a species is due to become extinct, then that is what needs to happen.

Cockies can be really really funny kazza. I must admit I did like the penguins.

Veedub and the seriousness on their faces when they waddle/walk. In the water, they are like incredibly playful children.

Sunny day, the fur seals looked just so incredibly sleepy and comfortable. It was cold and the wind was blowing, and they were happy and sleeping on their rock.