Friday 14 November 2008

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

(Pronounced pont-kuss-uth-tay)

Saturday (the 8th) was a very full day. Again I am going to break this post up into a couple (or more).

This aqueduct is an incredible structure. Built by a man called Thomas Telford between 1975 and 1805 (it took that long to build it). It is 126 feet (over 38 metres) high. You can walk across or you can take a narrowboat. Why it was built? I haven’t a clue. It is an impressive structure and as far as I’m concerned, lovely to look at but anyone who decides to go across it in a boat is totally NUTZ !!

This was what I saw:

Saturday 154

And that was where I stopped. I went no further. Kahless did. Brave woman. She took my camera with her and got some great photos. Brave woman. She put the camera around her neck so she didn’t drop it down, down, down, never to be seen again. Which is what would happen if you fell !!

And this was what she walked on.

Saturday 167_edited-1

And below was

Saturday 176

So off went old Kahless with my camera safely attached and this is what she saw:

Saturday 166

 

Saturday 164

How stunning are they? Almost (not quite) but almost worth the risk !!

And this

clip_image002

Not near as stunning as the scenery

And just for those who are interested. These are my wellies. Well used by this stage.

Saturday 159 Wellies

The information sign (as usual I had to take a photo of the sign as well)

 

Saturday 153

I have no idea what this is, but if you look closely you can see an anchor, some bolts, bricks with names on them and all sorts. But what it is supposed to mean I have no idea.

Saturday 152

I showed Kahless the path that went down under the aqueduct and asked if she wanted to walk down. We thought about it and then decided that the down would be easy. The up would be bloody hard and that we were tired from earlier in the day so we gave it a miss and headed off home.

And yes, the boats go across the aqueduct. Here’s a Flickr image of someone doing just that. It’s too late in the year. All the boats have gone to bed for the winter.

 

image

And that's where we were!

Map image

So that’s all for this one folks.

Madeleine

Thursday, 13 November 2008

8 comments:

KazzaB said...

Yayyyyyyyy!! Finally, a picture of Madeleine in her wellies!! LOL They look very jazzy!! And nice and foot warming!!

The photos Kahless took further down are stunning. I would have been like you and stood up the top while someone else went down!! LOL

KazzaB said...

I just realised - they're pink!! LOL

Veedub said...

I love the wellies, they are definitely Madeleine wellies! Not plain, boring ones

The autumn colours of the trees are beautiful, that's something I miss since coming to Perth, there don't seem to be as many deciduous trees here.

Great to see your smiling face, I'm glad you're having a good time.

Rosymosie said...

I thought you would like the pink Kazza. I was limited with the size of my feet here. There is not much choice in size 3 LOL

I am having a great time Veedub. Time to play and time to stop and just veg out like I am doing this week.

Kahless said...

I only made it 1/2 way across the aquaduct!!!!

v.v. scarey!

Rosymosie said...

But ya did it, Kahless. Even if it was 1/2 way !! Brave woman !!

DJ Kirkby said...

Amazing photos! Love your wellies, mine have pink hearts on them.

Rosymosie said...

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you are enjoying my blog. Thanks for dropping by.