Friday 21 November 2008

Oxford to Torquay

My second train trip in the UK. I’ve heard stories about train delays, and in fact on the trip to Wales I was talking to a woman who had taken 5 hours to do a trip that usually took her 2. My trip to Wales was uneventful. This one was reasonably uneventful.

It was interesting. The first time I wrote that last sentence, I wrote “uneventful until .....”. The second time I wrote the sentence I put “the trip was mostly uneventful”. I finished writing and then re-read the sentence and realised just how many little things had happened on the trip.

Three changes this trip. I went from Oxford to Reading; Reading to Newton Abbot; and then Newton Abbot to Torquay.

Oxford to Reading, no problems at all. Arrived at Reading, found the appropriate platform and stood waiting for my train. Trains coming and going. Madeleine standing, watching people, sights, quite happy just waiting.

One train stayed on the track (Platform 4) in front of me for ages and ages without me really being aware of how long it had been there. There was an announcement that the next train due from Platform 4 was now due from Platform 9 and heaps of people started heading off.

At this stage, I started to get the idea that something was going on. One of the platform blokes came over to where I was standing, and asked me where I was going. I said Torquay. He informed me that the train on the track right in front of me had broken down and that I needed to listen to announcements to see what was going to happen. In due course, there was an announcement to say that the train to Penzance was now arriving on Platform 8. Well !! It was interesting to watch everyone scoot along and race to the new platform. By now, the train was due in minutes and when we arrived at the platform, the train was there. People started running, dragging their cases along behind them. I walked. I was pretty sure the train would not take off with that number of people waiting to get on. And in fact, it didn’t.

The next stage was from Reading to Newton Abbot, about a 2 hour trip. The conductor came, checked my ticket and the trip continued. About an hour and a half into the trip, an announcement came to say, they apologise, but the train was running about 12 minutes late. I checked my itinerary to check to see how much time I had between trains and figured that if I wasn’t too much later, I should make my connection. While I was checking the details for the next stage of my journey, I made a discovery:

I had lost my ticket !!

Damn!!

I tore everything apart. My bag, my backpack, my pockets, everything. I checked them again! And again! By this time we are getting closer and closer to Newton Abbot and the need to show my ticket. I had all my seat reservations; I had my itinerary; I had my receipt. The only thing I didn’t have was my ticket.

The train arrived in Newton Abbot, and off I got. Followed the crowd again, found my next platform, and found a train man on the platform and explained my dilemma. He reckoned, not to worry. I had everything else and if it was him taking the tickets, he would be quite happy with the proof of payment that I had in my hands. So I took his word for it and waited for my next train.

By this stage, there is about 10 minutes before my next train was due – Newton Abbot to Torquay. Lots of trains coming and going and announcements.

Announcement: Cross country train to.... has been delayed (2 before me).

Announcement: Cross country train to.... has been delayed (1 before me).

Announcement: Cross country train to Paignton has been delayed (my train)

Damn!! I’m almost there. The trip from Newton Abbot to Torquay is 9 minutes !!

So I wandered around. I waited. Another 3 or 4 trains were marked as delayed. It was quite warm, so I shed my coat, and found a space to sit down. Watched people. Nothing much else you can do.

Announcement: Cross country train to Paignton has been delayed by 33 minutes.

Okay. So what are we going to do with ourselves for 30+ minutes. That’s assuming that the train is no later.

About 5 minutes later a train pulls up onto the platform, and people start moving towards the train. No announcement, but I hear the word Torquay mentioned, so I followed the crowd. Can be a useful occupation at times. Asked the question of the appropriate person; got the answer I wanted. Yes, this train is going to Torquay. Whether it was mine or not, who cares. I’m on the train.

Nine minutes later I disembarked in Torquay probably no more than 20 minutes later than scheduled. Not a ticket needed. No one asked for one, not on the train, nor when I got off.

So that’s the story of my trip from Oxford to Torquay.

Just to add a little addendum to my story. I found my ticket. While I was waiting outside the station at Torquay to be picked up, I put my hands in my pockets and there, tucked into a corner I didn’t know existed, was my lost ticket !! I knew it couldn’t have gone far.

Madeleine

Wednesday, 19 November 2008

11 comments:

KazzaB said...

Sounds like a bit of an adventure Madeleine!! I think those sorts of things add to it though because if it was too easy and humdrum it would be just a humdrum trip!! LOL Have you ever noticed that what people talk about most on their trips are all the unexpected things that happened. Sounds like you took things in your stride as normal. LOL

Looking forward to those photos!!

Veedub said...

Have you found Platform nine and three quarters yet?

Anonymous said...

Yes, that sounds about right! Makes me proud to be an Englisher. When are you gonna give me a bell? I can't make arrangements by email - I'd get it all in a muddle. I trust you'll be bringing your camera along. We'll have to get a shot of us two for Tony and Ken!

Rosymosie said...

Yes, Kazza, It was a bit of an adventure. but I must admit to being glad the return trip was easy and humdrum. And yes, I have noticed that people talk a lot about the trials and tribulations.

No Veedub, I didnt' find platform 9-3/4 LOL

So be proud Colin. I made it there and back and overall considering it all went reasonably well. Now I'm back in Oxford I will give you a ring - tomorrow (Saturday)!!

Kahless said...

I have an edge to my pocket in my cords which seems to gooble up my lighter at times.

{{{{Madeleine}}}}

Anonymous said...

I just rolled back from a mate's wedding celebrations, and I'm a little bit the worse for wear. I'll check my messages once my hands are responding to my brain again ;-)

Anonymous said...

... and now I've got hic-cups and I can't even spell it... them - whatever they are! Hic...

Rosymosie said...

I didn't even know this little hidey spot was there. When I came back I kept checking the pants I was wearing to make sure they didn't have a little hidey spot, but they just had normal pockets. Thanks for the {{{{Madeleine}}}}, Kahless. Sending one back {{{{Kahless}}}}

Poor Colin. Minimal sympathy from me though. Totally self inflicted. Maybe i will wait til later in the day to ring !! I'm only just up. But Oxford snowed for me last night. Not much and it's raining now, but it snowed for me last night

KazzaB said...

What about my hug!! I haven't had any Madeleine hugs for over 2 whole months and I'm having withdrawals!! I'll send one to you (((((Madeleine))))))) but now I want one back!! LOL

Rosymosie said...

Oh, dear, Here's a virtual hug Kazza {{{{{{ Kazza }}}}}}. That better now !!??

KazzaB said...

Yes, thank you, lots better. Happy little vegemite now. LOL