Monday 3 November 2008

The Umbrella Dance

Interesting day Saturday. K and I decided to go to Banbury to go shopping. M had to work and took the car. So K & I hopped on a train and went shopping.

Sunday 003

This is Banbury shopping centre.

We had ourselves a great shopping trip. I got a nice warm winter coat for 5 pounds (my machine doesn't have a pound sign) from a second hand shop. I tell you, Banbury has lots and lots of second hand shops !! I also got some really neat wellies. I've been tossing up as to what to wear on my feet. I keep getting them wet and cold and wet pant legs on my travels. So I decided on some snazzy wellies. I will wear them in Australia. I have a pair of boring black ones that I wear. I know I look like a total dork and that Kahless is going to piss herself laughing when she sees me, but I really don't care !!

We also picked up some other little bits and pieces and off home we wandered.

When we arrived home, we discovered that the power was off on our street and we had not only no lights, but no heat. Candles don't keep you very warm and they are very hard to read by for any length of time. K and I were really quite philosophical about the whole thing, but M was a bit cranky. He had worked all day to come home to a cold, dark house. Not a happy chappy. K couldn't even make herself a cup of coffee to go with the cookies we bought !!

About 6 we decided to go out for dinner. it was either that, or pizza, again - our nearest take away place. The rain had settled in, the wind was blowing and it was cold and wet and dark. People dodging with their umbrellas - doing the umbrella dance. K and I realised that with the differences in our height (my umbrella is about most people's eye level; K's is at normal height.), I do a duck, dodge and weave, where she does a lift, dodge and weave.  M, well, he just does the dodge and weave tactic.

Wet pant legs: Everyone had wet pant legs. All the way to the knees on some people. Wet shoes, wet trouser legs, cold wind blowing. Damn. That felt almost icy and wintry.

I have also learned how to fold my pant legs so they fit in my wellies !! I have a vague recollection of this technique from when I was a young child. But it is only a very vague recollection.

Madeleine

Sunday, 2 November 2008

6 comments:

KazzaB said...

I was feeling cold just listening to the cold pant legs bit!! So where's the photo of your wellies??? What colour are they??? LOL

Very entertaining post - at my height can you imagine how I am with the umbrella??? LOL

Veedub said...

You and Kazza could both take people's eyes out!!!

It all sounds cold and wet and chilly and rather uncomfortable. I think reading about your chilly adventures is going to help me get through summer.

I agree with Kazza...where's the photo of your wellies??

Anonymous said...

Hey Madz.

I emailed you on your rosiemosie account. Let me know if you get it.

Nadz

Rosymosie said...

Kazza, No photos of the wellies yet. I should have got M or K to take one yesterday when I wore them and my new jacket.

And yes, with your height, you would take out .... well.. other things rather than eyes. hehehe !!

I suspect there will be more chilly adventures, Veedub. So keep reading for your dose of cold weather. We went out yesterday - more to come on that later hopefully - cold, but not as cold as Saturday night.

Nadz, didn't get an email from you on my rosymosie account. I will email you now. Cheers Mate !

Anonymous said...

Brrr, it does sound cold up there! So... it's normal for people to get that wet? I don't think we tend to get that wet over here - though i suppose we have been in drought for 15 or so years.

Great idea - the gum boots. I practically grew up in them around the farm. They're a great idea - good thinking!

roses

Rosymosie said...

Eventually I will get a photo of them, Roses. Them and my new jacket. I reckon I look hilarious. I don't know about everyone getting so wet Roses, I'm sure it can't be healthy. Seems people are more interested in looking good than being dry. I don't get it, I must admit.