Saturday 22 November 2008

Babbacombe Model Village

How to describe the experience? I’ve been to Cockington Green near Canberra and this was just as impressive. Different. But still incredibly delicious and delightful. The only words I can use to describe what I saw today.

I’m curled up in my B&B, television on, looking at my photographs from today. Cockington Green covers more physical area I think. When I was looking at the outside of Babbacombe, I couldn’t imagine how it could be any good. There just didn’t seem to be enough space to have a decent sized exhibit. When I walked in, I was gobsmacked. I took about 300 photographs and would have probably taken more except my battery decided it had been overworked and kept flashing red at me. So when I finished I had to return to my B&B to put battery on charge (and me as well – talked about exhausted).

There was no international exhibit as at Cockington Green, but there is lots of humour in this exhibit. There is a bit of humour at Cockington Green, but Babbacombe has humour in each exhibit. All you have to do is to look for it.

Check this one out.

20 Nov 2008_Babbacombe and Model Village_0046

This is Ed’s Hot and Cold Snacks. The dog going in the back of the van is wagging his tail, he thinks he’s about to get a treat. And his tail really moves. That’s how I know.

And I want one (or two) of these. A dark green and a light green wheely bin.

20 Nov 2008_Babbacombe and Model Village_0043_edited-1

I’m not quite sure what the signs mean, maybe before I post it I will find out.

But there are lots of signs, many/most humorous. This one,

Beware of the Bull

which is part of this scene

Beware of the bull

I could be heard laughing out loud on quite a number of occasions.

While I was waiting for the Village to open, I met up with 5 women who were on a special tour for seniors. They go by bus to a town, wander around and do their own thing, stay overnight and go back the next day. These 5 had come to Babbacombe and Torquay for the day. We were going to wander around together, but they went much quicker than I did so we lost track of each other. I met them again, waiting for their bus outside the Village and then again later in the day at the shops in Torquay. Very nice bunch they were too.

In Philpotts Garden Centre

clip_image002

One of the gardeners is having a little kip under the bushes. You can almost hear him snoring.

clip_image002[5]

On the beach, people are sunbathing

clip_image002[7]

Some wearing more clothes than others.

clip_image004

Stonehenge the miniature that I really wanted to see. I’ve not seen the big one yet, but I’ve seen a miniature of it.

clip_image006

So like Cockington Green, the designers have humour as well as talent. The designers of these models have more interest in how people interact with their surroundings. I was just looking at my photos from Cockington Green, and there are far less people involved.

I like this one.

clip_image008

Check out the mummy:

clip_image010

I’ve done a very, very quick run down of 300 photos here. I can’t post them all. Different from the Australian version, but equally great. Would love to come back again. In a few weeks time they are having their Christmas “Winter Wonderland” where the exhibits will be covered in snow, with lights ablazing. I would love to come to see it. It’s possible. I’m not all that far from Oxford. We will see.

Anyway, that’s all for now folks.

Madeleine

Thursday, 20 November 2008

5 comments:

KazzaB said...

That's fantastic Madeleine. I love the little Stonehenge. It looks like it was well worth the trip. I love humour in things like that too. Looks like there was a lot to see.

Veedub said...

That looks great I'd love to go and see it.
There's a Stonehenge at Cockington Green too, I remember seeing it when we were there.
We'll have to go and look at the one in Perth when you get back.

Rosymosie said...

There were just soo many photos Kazza I had problems deciding which ones to put in the blog.

I don't remember Veedub. I will check out later on my Cockingon Green photos and see if I can find one.

Kahless said...

SWW = South West Water

I like Stonehenge the best!

Rosymosie said...

I liked it all but Stonehenge was pretty magnificent LOL. I figured someone would know the significance and let me know Kahless. There was a lot of local stuff in there that I didn't get. Which I might when I get the photos together with the guide book I got.